161 days sober - 5 months and 10 days


Oh yes! I am 1 month away from my halfway mark and I am very excited about it.  I am working so hard on myself, more than I ever have in fact! Mentally, physically and even spiritually.  I don’t want to jinx it too much, but I am feeling very positive right now and full of life.

I have been in quite some discomfort the last few weeks; my stomach was very extended.  I looked about 7 months pregnant and I was in a lot pain on and off, I couldn’t even wear trousers because they were to so tight and painful on my stomach.  I was getting quite concerned, so I was sent for a scan to make sure everything was ok in my ovaries etc, and everything was fine.  The doctor knew my bloods were ok and I was not losing any unexplained weight.  I have IBS for quite a few now so when the doctor said it could be down to that, I said no! I had never had bloating like that before and certainly not with pain.  I decided to cut gluten and wheat out which is known to be bad for IBS sufferers, however my strictness had gone out the window since lockdown and was eating gluten and wheat as normal. My stomach within a few days went down dramatically!  Not that I am diagnosing myself, but I have been doing my research and all the symptoms for celiac disease is what I have had.

  • Abdominal pain
  • Bloating
  • Constipation and diarrhoea
  • Folate deficiency
  • Itchy rashes

This is something you can get later in life and not something that is just developed as a child.  I will need to have a lot more tests done and right now I don’t want that lol! I was also tested for auto immune in my blood and that’s what I had, people with autoimmune problems can get it.  So, for now I have cut out all gluten, even down to my muesli.  I can’t and won’t risk having another flare up like that and I know for sure that wasn’t just IBS. 

Now I have cut out gluten and wheat, I have a bit more energy and don’t feel as sluggish.  Just in time for my gym to start!  I started on Monday and have gone everyday.  I absolutely love it, especially the outdoor swimming.  It feels like pure luxury and I get to work from there too which is a bonus.  I know the working out is going to be so good for my mental health, even just going for a swim sets me up nicely for the day.  I will definitely stick to it because the benefits are just amazing, even after only a week or change of diet and exercise. 

 

AA

I am still going to my AA meetings on a Monday evening (women only) and I love it.  They are not always easy to listen too but if anything, I sometimes come away feeling unbelievably grateful.  Some of these ladies have had no support and have remained with heavy drinkers, some have not been encouraged to stop.  I couldn’t imagine that.  I have the most supportive partner in the world, the most supportive parents and friends.  If Rob was a drinker then I would struggle massively but thank god he is not. He would 100% go tee total if that’s what I wanted.   I hear some horrific stories which of course I cannot speak about but all I will say is that these women I know are a true inspiration and have gone through hell and back.  I have a sponsor now and she is lovely, we are currently doing step 2 of the 12-step programme. Speaking to her is like having my own therapist on hand.  She understands how I feel and would never ever judge me.  She asked me what my rock bottom was, and I said I had many! Maybe it is a spiritual awakening, I don’t know.  Maybe its God, maybe its my loved ones in heaven, maybe its just the end of the road for me.  It could be any of these things, but I try to over think it because I am just so blessed that I finally got there.  I am proud and excited to have a life without a drop of alcohol in it.  I have a hell of a long way to go but I want it so badly this time that nothing will get in my way.  I have been listening to Joe and Charlie of AA (podcast) they are great to listen too.  I like the American accents because one of them sounds like Frank Sinatra and that is comforting to me for some reason, maybe it’s a childhood feeling?  So these two very funny blokes read from the AA big book.  According to the “doctors opinion” we (us alcoholics) have an allergy to the booze.  When we take our first drink, its sets of an allergy and we then have the craving reaction to want more and more.  If you don’t take the drink, the physical craving won’t be there.  You may want a drink but won’t have a physical craving.  I think it was Charlie that said something amusing.  He was on a plane and was watching this man order himself a vodka and soda, not even 2 of these tiny bottles, just the 1!! He then poured it out with his mixer and just started stirring calmly, he then put the stick down and picked up his paper and started reading.  Now to us drinkers, this is not normal.  The first thing you do its pick the drink up and take a nice big gulp, we want to get the hit as quickly as possible.  To “normal” drinkers this is normal behaviour, pour the drink and leave it there.  This did make me laugh because I could never pour a drink and not touch it, I have tried when out for a meal with Rob.  I know he is watching so I leave it there while I order my meal.  Its like torture because I am now desperate for the drink to get into my body.  There have been times that I have gone out for dinner with Rob and had a glass of 2 of wine, but let me tell you, it has taken everything in my power to not want more.  Actually I lie, I did want more but just knew I couldn’t.  If I was allowed, then I would have gone and got another bottle or two and got drunk.  The wonderful, amazing benefit of not being allowed to drink freely in the house has probably saved me.  The reason I drank in secret was because Rob has always known about my drinking problem, so it was a no no for me indoors.  To be honest, with the kids at home I wouldn’t have anyway, well not yet anyway! I would always do it without them around.  But who is to say that if I was allowed to freely drink wine indoors that I wouldn’t have become physically addicted and the drink really would have become my first love.  I mean I do try to kid myself, I say I wasn’t addicted but then who gets gin and tonic at 9am after taking kids to school, who drink drives.  I kind of was putting drink before my kids and family.  My sponsor said, there are many things I have not done…yet!!  If I went back to drinking, I would be even worse than I was before and that is a FACT.  I am not drinking because I enjoy it, I am drinking for the buzz feeling.  A good few months back now I took to many pills, not purposely of course.  Because I had been drinking I forgot how many tablets I had taken and I also mixed them.  I fell asleep and woke up about 1am that morning wondering what the hell had happened.  Rob was beside himself, he said that I have no idea how dangerous mixing drugs can do, plus I had mixed with night nurse.  He said one day you will accidently kill yourself. It sounds dramatic, but I really have had so many chances at life and I truly believe a higher power turned it all around for me. 

So for me now, I am concentrating on healthy (non gluten) foods and exercise.  To feel good about myself again but mainly to feel good mentally which in turn will stop me drinking, continue with my AA and the steps and just don’t ever stop trying to better myself.  I had some issues with my ex husband and payments etc and I got so stressed out with it all as its just continuous that I realised, normally I would have gone for the bottle.  My ex is a great Dad and loves our children more than life, however as an ex husband he is an arse hole lol!  It comes across bitter but I don’t think it is.  I sit there and think some people don’t know how lucky they are to not have to stress every week or month just to get paid what is legally yours.  I don’t and would never ask him for a penny extra than what he gives me, all I ask is its paid and on time.  I don’t call and ask for his opinion or help or any support in that way, I have to much pride and can discipline and take care of my own children.  My partner however is wonderful, he is a great Dad and supports and listens to all the crap that comes his way.  You will always have people that play the victim, or people that moan because they have to do everything.  I have said before my kids go to there Grandparents every other week for 2 nights, now if I could have that not happen, I would!  I don’t want them gone but its what they are used to and what they want so of course I wouldn’t change that.  I am there Mum, and it is my job and my job only to raise them and nurture them.  They see their Dad and have fun and his house with his family and then come home to me.  It may sound possessive, but they are young for such a short space of time that I want to lap up every minute.   I have read up so much about puberty and periods etc, because I know I have all that to come with my daughter.  I need to understand her bad moods and anger and realise what she may be going through.  My step son is going through all those changes at the moment.  He is grumpy, has attitude and grunts!  Everything is a hardship with him, but I tell Rob all the time it’s his hormones, he is going through so many changes right now.  He is such a good boy really with a brilliant character and is even well behaved at school.  He gets a few bad marks here and there but that is it.  If Charlie my son is that behaved in big school I will be over the moon! I probably have more problems with my youngest step son, I love him to pieces but he is a very unique young man and you really need to understand him properly.  I am not good with sensitivity, but I really have to try around him because he can get upset a lot if he is told he doing something wrong.   He has said a few times to me about calling his Mum because I have told him off, which is about control.  We both agreed he wouldn’t say it anymore and he just says it out of anger and I have told Charlie under no circumstances should he ever say to his Dads girlfriend, I would be mortified, and he should accept the telling off. I will discipline them all the same, no one gets special treatment. My daughter and eldest step son are a dream compared to my youngest and my youngest step son! 😊 All that said, I am very fortunate to have 4 amazing children, they are all great kids but of course shared parentship can be hard.  One parents advise is never hit back, the other parents is absolutely hit back, and I always say to all of them…..DO not play the victim!! We need one big family holiday where they can run around and be kids instead of being trapped indoors!  I cant wait for the future, yes it will be hard at times with my ongoing issues but overall I am so much and will continue to be so much happier…..xxxxx

 

Thank you for reading.

Lots of love

 

Stacey 



Comments

Popular Posts