1 year, 3 months and 5 days alcohol free!

Hello everyone!! 

I'm sorry its been a very long time since I last posted, 5 months to be exact.  I have said previously that I will only write my blogs if it flows naturally and that I will never force it.  I just haven’t had the want or need to write these last few months, aka blog block! 😊 I was actually looking forward to writing my 1-year sober blog, however it just didn’t happen that way. 

I made it to 1 year sober on the 3rd November last year, it was a strange day.  I felt upset, I felt happy, I felt proud of myself but also fearful.  I got taken out for dinner by my beautiful friends and they brought me a ‘proud of you’ bracelet.  I was so unbelievably touched. My Mum brought me a special keepsake which I will carry forever, and my partner wrote me a card telling me how proud he was of me. My mother and father-in-law brought me some beautiful flowers too. I wasn’t expecting any of it, so I was so touched by the thoughtfulness of it all.

I suppose I felt upset because it took me right back to that day of the crash, took me back to where this all started.  The upset and pain I had caused people, the selfishness of my actions over and over again. The pain I had caused my parents and my partner.  These are things that will never sit well with me and some of the terrible mistakes I have made, however I am learning to forgive myself as time goes on.  Of course, I felt happy because I am like “WOW, look how far I have come”.  I proved to myself most of all that I can do this, and my life is so much better off now and I am so much happier.  I felt fearful because its yet another reminder that I am an alcoholic and I will never have those few glasses of prosecco to make me feel lighter and bubbly.  I will never be able to sit in the sunshine with my Mum having some bubbles and then dancing the night away in the kitchen.  I will never go out with my friends and dance in a bar feeling carefree under the false pretences of the booze.  I wont ever sit in the hot tub and have a glass of champagne with Rob again or enjoy a drink at Christmas.  That still bothers me and still to this day I think of drinking and being ‘FUN’!! That’s what 25 years of drinking does and the society we live in has a lot to answer for.  Now if I break all this down into sections and explain to myself……….

·        A few glasses of prosecco to make me feel lighter – this is a lie, it would never and never was a few glasses of prosecco.  It was a bottle of 2 to get drunk.

·        Sitting in the sunshine with my Mum dancing in the kitchen – This was lovely, however my Mum is lightweight and we would be drunk by the afternoon and would end in tears somehow because we would get all morbid lol.

·        Friends dancing in a bar – you ask anyone of my friends if they prefer me not drinking or drinking, they will 100% say NOT DRINKING.  That says it all!

·        Hot tub drinking champagne – yes this was nice, however I always wanted more. 1 bottle wasn’t enough, and Rob wouldn’t have gone and got me more.

·        Christmas and a few drinks – Rob would always be on edge because he would watch how much I was drinking and what that then leads too.  Christmas is amazing now without it.

I have literally just listed this as I was thinking it, and this reminds me why I don’t drink and don’t want to drink.  I am only 36, I think it’s normal that I feel like this from time to time, as long as I remind myself why I don’t drink then that’s all I need to keep going.  I accept that my recovery will have many ups and downs, and that’s ok.

So its now been 15 months and I am still going strong.  If I’m honest, its been a very challenging 7 months.  As I mentioned before my Mum was diagnosed with cancer which hit me like a bomb to my heart.  Since then my Mum has had her operation to move the tumour and has been in treatment since.  Every step that we got through felt like we were climbing Everest.  It felt like it drained every ounce of oxygen from my lungs every time something else happened.  I wont get into detail but the treatment was horrendous, the pain my Mum was is was unbearable, she was being burnt from the inside out literally.  This was everyday Monday to Friday for 8 weeks. She has been throwing up since September every single day, most of the time more than once.  The pain that causes her throat is pain that you or I cant even imagine. The ensures (which are what she feeds into her tube because she cant eat) were making her sick, so every little bit of goodness she was getting from them were coming straight back out.  She has also been on a lot of morphine and other drugs which also would have affected her stomach.  It got worse after her treatment, the burns started to slowly go and heal up well, however the pain and illness she was suffering with was awful.  A few weeks back she was no doubt at her worst.  She got so ill, she went down to 6 stone something, she couldn’t walk or speak much.  It was like watching my Mum who looks amazing for her age looking and walking like a 90 year old women.  I had to hold her up to help her to the bathroom and just to get out of bed.  I can honestly say this has all been one of the worst experiences of my life.  Seeing someone you love so much go through so much pain is unbearable and if I could have taken it away from her, I would have in a heartbeat.  Good news is that she has started to slowly be able eat, albeit very painful but she forced herself and she stuck to it.  Slowly but surely, she started to build herself up again.  Finally, last week she had her feeding tube out and she has stopped being sick.  She is gaining weight again and she is slowly starting to do some normal things here and there.  The strange thing was, that my Mum started to recover, and I started to go downhill.  I started to feel pretty low, crying a lot, feeling like I didn’t want to even get out of bed, signs of depression.  I felt my Mum was in a place where I could be honest with her, so I was.  She told me that my emotions have been on autopilot since her diagnoses and all I have done is try and remain strong for her.  Then she started to get better and I let my guard down, my wall that I had built up to protect myself and my Mum.  Once it came down, I just let go and felt all the heartbreak and upset that I wanted to feel before. I have tried to stay strong not just for my Mum, but for myself and my recovery.  I was scared that if I let myself go, then I might just go and grab that bottle of drink and hit the ‘fuck it’ button.  My Mum had her PET scan 2 weeks ago to see if the treatment worked, I feel like its been the longest 2 weeks ever, and we are still waiting! So, if you are reading this then please pray for my Mum.  Talking of praying, Rob and I went to Canterbury Cathedral on New Years day for a service which was lovely. At the end Rob and I went to speak to the priest who stood there with us and prayed for my Mum (this is when she was very ill) he also said that he will pray at service the following day.  It was very touching and emotional.  After that, she started to recover.

Outside of my Mum, life has been pretty good.  My relationship is amazing, we are so unbelievably happy, my kids are happy, one of my best friends has had a baby girl called Ivy.  OMG she is absolutely perfect and I already love her so much.  I have some other amazing news about my other best friend but cant share that unfortunately just yet.  Things are looking positive and feels like we are going to have an amazing summer.  Stopping drinking has given me such burst of life.  No, of course its not all roses and rainbows! However, the ups certainly beat the downs. I have been regularly going to the gym 4-5 days a week since April last year.  I have lost over 3 stone and I feel bloody amazing.  I had no idea I had that amount to lose, when I told Rob I wanted to lose 2 stone, he said WTF you will be skin a bone!  Well, it turns out I had more than that to lose and I am now a size 8-10.   Rob doesn’t want me to lose anymore because I seemed to have become a bit obsessed with it.  Like any good alcoholic, my addition went from one thing to another!  I need to slow down now, so I don’t push myself as much.  I cant stop going to the gym because for me it massively helps my mental health, more than I ever realised it would. I didn’t go for a week the other month and I felt like crap! I used to do the treadmill but my god its unbelievably boring…..I now do classes, weights, dancing and swimming.  All the things I enjoy.  Still struggle to get motivated when I am due on though, no amount of gym can sort that out!!  So I feel great in clothes now, however I think where life has been so stressful lately, I have been getting run down more often and also feeling so tired a lot.  Doctor said my body isn’t storing iron very well so either take tablets or up the leafy greens and red meat.  I hardly eat meat so will have to double up on popeyes spinach. 

I have been out a few times the past 5 months.  Rob and I had an awards ceremony in London back in November with work and it was such a brilliant night.  It was black tie so we could get all dressed up.  I must admit I felt really good, I felt slim and good in what I was wearing.  Rob looked pretty dapper himself.  He said he was the proudest man in the room which made me feel extra special.  I have been out up London a couple of other times since then with work friends and had some really good nights.  We were all dancing in a club/bar and then it must have been about 1am and everyone was hammered around me, and at that point I’m like “Rob, get me out of here”!! I can only last up until a point, main thing is though I can have fun.  I am not ashamed to tell people and most people who I care about at work know that I am a recovering alcoholic, and some have stopped drinking themselves.  Everyone has been so supportive and understanding, its shocks me every time that how many people do have a drink problem.

My daughter is at secondary school now and is doing really well.  She is in the top sets in most of her classes and I am so proud of her.  I wouldn’t care if she was in the middle or lower tbh, I just want her to always try her absolute best.  My baby boy (he is 9 lol, not a baby) is in year 5 and doing really well.  He is where he needs to be and the teachers are very pleased with him.  We have an amazing weekend in April coming up for my Mother in Laws birthday.  My father in law is truly one of the most genuine, kindest, generous men I have ever met.  He doesn’t have do half the stuff he does for his family, but he does it anyway. We have Rob’s brothers wedding in September which will be fantastic.  With any luck, in between all this we will get abroad for a hot holiday in the sun.  Then there is Rob and my wedding, we talk about this a lot and have said we want it at his parents house which we think would be amazing and so personal.  However, no one is getting married until a certain someone asks me!!  Ha ha…..stay tuned……

 I think I am rambled on enough now. 

Just remember if you are considering giving up drinking then read my journey and you will see how happy you can be.  No, it’s not a magic potion, however, it will change your life one way or another.  Give it a go.

I won’t leave it this long till my next blog, so until next time….

All my love

Stacey

Xxx

 


Comments

Popular Posts